Saturday, February 4, 2012

Fly That Morbid Freak Flag, Boy!

My boy does pottery and poetry. Yeah, I'm not worried about this one.
My 11 year old jumped in the car after school yesterday brimming with pride. He wrote a poem. And here it goes...

Shadow Girl
Her grave lies beneath the tree
of sadness and despair.
But the strange thing about this story
is that she's never there.


Her eyes are fired with anger,
her mouth is filled with blood.
Her heart is empty from the loss of
her parents in the Great Flood.


She reveals herself at dusk
and rids herself at dawn.
Although she seems to make her
visit infinitely long.


You will all soon believe in her
soon after you have ate.
She will sneak up on you
and before you notice... it's too late.

As you can imagine I cried heavy love tears when I read this. The boy's got my lovely dark sense of humor. We're THIS CLOSE to being able to watch horror movies together. This almost makes up for the fact that I will never have a daughter to wear matching outfits with.

Yearning to share in my pride I showed my Mother his poem. Yeah, she wasn't as impressed. After making a couple of horrified faces she said "maybe you should show him some real poetry". FLASHBACK: I was in the 4th grade filling legal pad after legal pad with what I thought was genius poetry. My Mother took a gander at one of my favorites. It didn't go over well. I believe one of the lines was "death to all lawyers by feather and tar". I was crushed that she wasn't as in love with it as I was. Sure my Father was a lawyer but what does that have to do with my poetry? I don't get it. It's a mystery to this day.

Anyway, my boy's teacher let him bring it home but she wants him to bring it back to school Monday so she can make copies of it. Hopefully not for DHS. Hey, I support my boys and their freak flags. If they want to write morbid poetry it's gonna get framed and mounted on the wall. Word.


2 comments:

  1. I like it! I always wrote morbid stories and poetry (and read morbid books). It was my thing - I read books about kids with cancer and horror stories by RL Stine. My mom was horrified. You know Holly, we are a lot alike! Seriously. Kind of freakily alike (in my opinion). Which isn't a bad thing. I think we are pretty cool and quirky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a bad thing at all;D. I have to admit every once in a while I do have the "you don't REALLY want to see people and things die do you?" conversation with him. He's totally offended every time I bring it up but hey, I gotta make sure! Remembering the poetry I used to write as a child and MY Mother's reactions to it gave me a reality check. I have to point out there's one giant unfair difference between us.....YOU GET TO HAVE THE BABY GIRL!

    ReplyDelete